Beyond a doubt, Chiang Mai is one of the best places in the world to retire. Every year, Chiang Mai ranks the top of retirement reviews across the globe (although it is sometimes overlooked by those reports that focus on big places only). Besides the general advantages of living in Thailand, Chiang Mai is particularly good for retirees because of many reasons:
- The cost of living in Chiang Mai is rather low. An average pension of say USD 1,500 nowadays equals about THB 48,000 which allows you to live rather comfortably.
- The quality of life in Chiang Mai is rather high.
- There are many facilities, including sportscenters, golf courses, shopping malls etc.
- It’s easy to get a retirement visa.
- There are many expat communities in Chiang Mai.
- You can still live a vibrant and active lifestyle.
- The weather in Chiang Mai is milder than in other places in Thailand, not as hot and with some real seasons.
- There are many hospitals and pharmacies everywhere in Chiang Mai, and the quality of medical care is good enough for most situations. Moreover, healthcare and personal caretakers are affordable.
- Chiang Mai people are quite genuine compared to other places such as Bangkok and Phuket, and it’s easy to mix with local Thai.
Besides this, one great advantage of retiring in Thailand or Chiang Mai is that contrary to some places and modern cultures in the west, old age is not looked down on or put aside in nursing homes as remnants of a world the rest of society doesn’t really want to engage with. Quite the contrary, in Thai culture old age is to be respected, parents are to be honored and economically Thai people are very aware that older people have accumulated more savings and thus are more able and willing to spend than say backpackers.